Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Whirly Gig Creativity

I just returned this evening from the local bookstore. I wandered and wandered, losing myself for a couple of hours in all the choices. I didn't really have a set idea of what I wanted, I just explored and enjoyed all the possibilities. Eventually, I ended up in the kids section, which is always a favorite spot ... especially if I am not in a hurry. You see, I really like the "pop up books." If you are lucky, there are one or two that no longer have the plastic wrap around them ... a wonderful invitational surprise awaiting with each turn of the page. Unexpected whirly gig paper creations emerge. Intricate, delicate, and marvelous designs that wait patiently for someone to discover them.

That's similar to what we give the children in Primary Project. Each child has intricate gifts, surprises, and whirly gig creatively hiding inside them. For some children, showing this side is difficult, especially in a new classroom with a new teacher and new peers. By taking time to build a relationship, based on the expressive nature of play, we help children to feel comfortable opening up, allowing their unique, special, and creative sides to unfold. How wonderful!

Mary Anne

http://www.primaryproject.blogspot.com/
http://www.childrensinstitute.net

No comments:

Post a Comment