Thursday, September 30, 2010

Setting Limits

Every once in a while it is necessary to set a limit for a child in the playroom. That is why when we introduce a child to the playroom saying "you can do most anything you want in the playroom." A great strategy is the ACT model outlined by Garry Landreth.

Acknowledge the child's wishes, feelings, and wants
Communicate the limit
Target an acceptable alternative

It doesn't happen very often but you know when it is necessary! In fact last weekend I used it when I was leading a group of kids in an activity. Instead of the traditional, "no you can't do it" I utilized the ACT model. It worked! And it was so much more positive than "no".

I don’t have one of these can I take it?
A I see that you really like that
C In here all the toys stay here
T It will be here tomorrow

Check back soon for some real life scenerios of limit setting!!!

http://www.childrensinstitute.net/
djohnson@childrensinstitute.net
mpeabody@childrensinstitute.net

No comments:

Post a Comment