Friday, January 7, 2011

Climate Changes: Outside and Inside my House

It’s a new year, and I mark it with the hanging of the new calendar. I find myself grumbling as I also stumble through the entrance of our home, through the growing array of boots, hats, gloves and mittens. The temperature outside has certainly changed, and I am reminded that once again, a new year awaits, full of hope, love and challenges.

As is tradition each New Year, I reflect on what I can resolve to do better. My attention turns to the temperature inside my home or more specifically, the climate of my family. I firmly believe that all adults (parents, teachers, coaches) who interact with children and youth have tremendous abilities to make or break the everyday spirit of a child.

I am reminded of a famous quote by Haim Ginott, a teacher, and child psychologist who worked with children and parents. He pioneered techniques for talking with children that are still regularly used today. While the quote speaks to teachers and their influence, I have always felt it applies to parents as well. With all due respect to Dr. Ginott, I have added the words, “playroom and associate” to his words.

"I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom (playroom). It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher (associate), I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized." — Haim G. Ginott

This January, and hopefully all year, I resolve to reflect on my mood and how it impacts my home. I resolve to work extra hard on the making things more joyous, and know that when I mess up (because I know I will), I can try again. I like that I can be an instrument of inspiration. How about you?


Mary Anne Peabody
mpeabody@childrensinstitute.net

No comments:

Post a Comment